Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Thursday, December 22, 2005

It's over

...That's what i sighed to myself as i banked left after inspection of the final pipeline segment. A strenuous week of flying, getting up early and sleeping little finally came to a close today. And boy, am I releived! Monday thru Thursday i got up at 1:45, 4:00, 6:15, and 3:45 in the morning, respectively, and didn't arrive back home until dinner time each night. All together this week, i flew to six different airports, logged 10 high-perf. multi-engine hours and 11 single-engine hours, two instrument approaches and made 13 landings in two different type aircraft.
I learned this week to generalize my days as either a growing day or a going day. On some days, I am forced to grow in skill, aptitude or patience, and on other days everything may just go for me. This entire week has been the former, and i do confess that I have not felt myself lately and haven't talked much today because i've had an attitude problem all day. You wouldn't believe the thoughts that have spontaneouly arrived, yet indeed i constrain myself from expressing them because of the ramifications of such negativity. For the majority of the day, I have chosen to bar my mouth while feeling anything less than appreciative or constructive, ere my words wreak pain in the hearer after breaking my heart on their way out.
So that's why i haven't written or called you tonight, Number 1. I don't feel...worthy.
Today, Tim and i went up and took samples of air for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) starting at FL250 (25,000') just east of Champaign/Urbana, Illinois. I took a picture of me in my part-space suit of headset, sunglasses and supplemental oxygen mask while pointing to the altimeter reading 25,000'. I laughed at myself when i looked at the picture just a bit ago.
The next picture is of Champaign as it appears from its north end. Just last Saturday, Abby and I were in the center of that dark blob which is actually what congested city roads, trees and buildings look like from four miles high. It makes me awe at how small we are.
As for
yesterday, I copiloted on a charter flight to take an old woman who was immobilized after hip surgery from Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minnesota) to her home to Shelbyville in southern Illinois. The picture of her arrival at Shelbyville is the third one down.
And yes, for the past 3 days, we have been flying the Navajo. The 310 is currently without a nosegear-and thanks be to God that it lacks only that.
Before i close, here's my profound and probably rediculous reflection on myself for the week:
I am doomed to ever finding satisfaction in something less than burnout.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home