Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Return from the Dentist

Lord, help me to have the joy i need to live worthy of Your calling.
"Count it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter diverse trials." Having had the privelege of two (and a half) checkrides from J.C. Harder, I am instilled with the philosophy that a checkride is a lot like going to the dentist. One hopes that his teeth and mouth are in good shape, but if they are not, it's not a complete disappointment because a cavity gets only worse if it's not treated. So if the dentist finds a cavity, he fills it and prevents a bigger problem. For that one thanks the dentist for finding a problem.
But that wasn't easy to do yesterday. Because my student's and my 'dentist' found a cavity. Several of them, in fact.
In the course of my pilot training, I've received just two pink slips. A pink slip tells a pilot applicant that the examiner found a cavity; i.e. failed the flight test. This summer, i've received two more, and the most recent one was last night. But i'm done with my own training, right, so how do i receive pink slips? Well, as a flight instructor, I live vicariously through my student; if i did well in projecting myself through the student, then theoretically my student checks out well, and consequently I check out well too. But if i did not, then my student will not check out well and consequently I don't check out well either. In sum, my students' cavities are counted as my own.
Count it all joy.
And today became one of joy, actually. Brian was able to reschedule his airplane ticket and his checkride, and we were free and alone today to discuss VORs and the E6B. It was beautiful, man. I drew exquisite illustrations on a 3'-by-2' whiteboard and covered advanced VOR operation theory and use. I was using exciting terms such as 'signal modulation', 'phase variance' and 'triangulation' to try and plant a deep-rooted understanding of the system. I don't expect Brian to regurgitate that stuff tomorrow to Michael, but at least he comprehends enough to be able to explain his way through the simple procedures for using the VOR.
-----
i've decided to go to the fair with Jode. Elmo brought the situation into perspective and doesn't want me to regret anything. He misses every much his being in Alaska. Soon i'm to be in the same situation and i'll be asking myself what i could have done to make it better. But it would be nice to look back and have near zero regrets. God works everything out for the good; therefore, while adversity doesn't feel pleasant at the time, the overarching truth is that God has something beyond our feelings in mind. I trust that Jode was for the good and that my two pink slips this summer were for the good, too.
Speaking of Jode, here is the first poem i wrote about her. I may be nuts by my posting this, but can you forgive this midnight mind?

There's a pretty little girl of twenty-three
I met up in Alaska and who enchanted me.
She can run a forklift, a chainsaw and a truck and all
Then give her graces and smile that minister to my soul.
She's as lovely as the flower that bears her name
And she'll flee into seclusion if her gracioius, pleasant mood just isn't the same.
Her voice is like song
I can listen to all day long.
Her presence is like a sweet summer breeze
Her gentleness like graceful willow trees.
She is accomplished in body, mind and soul
When she marries, she'll resemble Proverbs 31 on the whole.
She is a nurse, an accomplice of a career painstaking,
And I'd prefer her hand when on my bed of languishing.
That's all I have now to say about [Jode] Delay...

The last five lines are more introspective than is fitting for a blog. So there you have it, everyone.
Coming up tomorrow is a poem i wrote about Alaska. Think you'll like it.

Radar

1 Comments:

Blogger Elmo said...

Ay, cajuamas.
I think you've heard me say that a few times.
Thanks for the comment on my blog. As a result, I decided to click on your name, to see if you had updated. Lo and behold, you had not one but TWO new entries.

I really like Monday's second point. I liked it on the phone, but I had to think it through for a while.

Also, a girl does indeed add life to a guy. Now that I am here, without said life added, I find myself missing it. I didn't realize the new dimension I had discovered until it was snatched from my grasp.

So if Jode does not match your wish list, what is on your list? If you don't mind my asking, that is. I am curious as to how she fails. You may not be willing to share- that's okay. But if you are, I'd like to hear it.

As I said yesterday, I hope that you are not blaming youself for the shortcomings of your students. I realize that, as their instructor, you are partially responaible. And now that I enter a useless dissertation on the subject, I remember your explanations. But still- don't get down on yourself. That's what I am really getting at. Don't get down on yourself. Learn, chin up, and move on. NOT to minimize the issue.
Good grief, the more I talk, the worse this gets.

The poem is nice. I don't really know what else to say about it. But the thoughts from one's mind and heart rarely warrant (indeed, allow) comment at all.



There are two things we need to talk about. In person. Well, on the phone I suppose. First, dentistry. And I literally mean dentistry. I realize that it is a sensitive subject, but I've got some stuff for ya.
Secondly... geesh. Remember when we were at Peggy's (that jewel of the north) and we were talking about things you're most afraid of? Well, since then, I have been thinking about which things I am most afraid of. And I came up with one (After much thinking, it dawned on me) similar in nature to yours. There are others, but most of those will have to stay inside... for now.

Well, that about does it.
I go back to Longview tomorrow. Hooray. Can you tell how excited I am? It was 108 out there yesterday. Heat index, I mean. Gross.
Take care.
me

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home