Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Winter tales

(Originally written to A.F.)
I have a winter story to tell you, and it has alot to do with my devotions this morning. I read Romans 8, which contains your life verse Romans 8:28. I spent about seven minutes studying just that verse ---the words, the phraseology, the precontext. In the King James version, it is worded "And we know that all things work for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." The details i noticed this morning was quite profound.
For one, the preceding two verses tell us about three unseen forces in action for our aid: The Spirit, who makes intercession for us as we pray; "he that searches the hearts", who knows what the Spirit's words of intercession are; and "the will of God", which determines the intercession that will be made for us by the Spirit. Then, says verse 28, "all things work together." I would love to see the words all things in their literal greek form because I want to know for sure if 'things' are things we know in this world, or if 'things' are referring also to the three active forces mentioned in 8:26-27. I lean towards it really meaning all things in existence: those mentioned in 8:26-27 as well as the trials, blessings, tragedies and gifts that come our way.
My second observation comes in the next six words: "work together for good to them." This morning, those words took on a different meaning. Rather than asserting that those things work together for good, as in a generally good purpose (you know what i mean?), those things are working together to be good to them that love God. All the activity in the heavens, the world, and inside us is working together, somehow, for our good, since we are members of God's family and kingdom. Isn't that just a magnificient thought? Paul felt so himself, because he then wrote afterwards
in verses 31-39 the most eloquent composition expressing God's love for us.

So here's the winter story. I was coming back from LaSalle/Peru a little later than i should have, and the snow had accumulated on the roads faster than the cars could overrun and liquefy the flakes, so it was slippery and dangerous. Just five miles from home, i was driving on I-55 N when i must have turned the wheel a bit too abruptly. Because the next thing i knew, the car was pointed 20 degrees left, and the little corrections i used to reorient the car were futile. A few seconds later, i was in a ditch! Thankfully, i did not slide all the way to the trough of the ditch because a little groove was there in which my wheels would have gotten helplessly stuck. I tried scooting forward to try and gain momentum so i could get up the incline, but the lack of traction prevented any progress. Who would help me now? I tried for five minutes to save myself before i prayed that God would help me. In a matter of seconds later, I turned around and saw two tall and built men walking towards me from the other side of the highway. With their push, i was out of my predicament. I couldn't but reflect on what could have happened--what if i slipped while a car were a little behind me, or while i were next to an overpass, or while i were next to a sideguard? And were those men angels, for they had arrived-for all i could tell-the moment i prayed for God to help me. I know i abide in God's goodness, and this little story is about all things working together for my good because He made it so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elmo said...

Thanks for posting those pics. I had forgotten that quote, but rest assured I read it. I noticed it most while I was waiting for my flight to Ohio. I had hours that night, after you and Daisy et al dropped me off.... I digress.

Thanks for your insight into those verses.

I miss you, Jonathan.
Take care,
Randall

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home