Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Learjet school - end day 2

class began "late" today - late meaning for east Texas time, and ON time for west Texas. Regular management office hours begin at 10A at Basin anyway, so a 10am start time this morning felt in line with what I'm used to. Came in to class feeling bright and ready to learn. Lecture on the G5000 continued in the morning and afternoon covering topics of Navigation, weather, traffic and terrain.
Bombardier hosted a free lunch for us "customers" (never got called a customer in college) of a salad with all the fixings. Really good, and I wish our lunch break were later so I could enjoy the food on a more hungry stomach.
The most anticipated moment of the day followed class, and that was stepping inside the Lear 75 simulator! We had time for only one of us to be the button-pusher, so I volunteered my classmate to the job so I could learn from his experience. But I played the role of checklist reader and got myself in trouble once for helping my classmate find the right buttons instead of letting him figure out his own way around.
I got a general good feeling from being in the simulator for the first time. It was a really sweet experience because the machine is genuine with the airplane except it's not interfaced to an actual Learjet. My first exposure to this synthetic jet was both beautiful and overwhelming.
I came back to the hotel with generous experience that I could use for my studies and solo practice this evening.
The former is bad news. I'm behind on my reading and preparations for tomorrow's lecture. If I sleep a bit less then maybe I can catch up. Nevertheless, sleep has to be priority.
The solo practice is, however, a success tonight. God brought to my mind the idea of enriching the cockpit wall chart that I hung up yesterday with labels, procedure flows and notes. So I got out masking tape and borrowed a Sharpie from the hotel and stuck labels on the major components of the Bombardier Vision Flight Deck. Then I went through checklists in the POH and stuck notes on the wall chart of facts to remember and procedure flows I need to keep memorized.
The unfortunate part of being a scholar is that time goes quickly while studying much, and much study is weariness to the flesh. Studying removes time from sleep, and sleep removes time from studying. The better part of the balance is a sharp mind, even if that mind isn't filled with the right stuff.
2 Corinthians 13 was my reading today. The part that says "my grace is sufficient for you. My strength is made perfect in weakness" reminds me that ultimately my dependence rests on God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home