Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Last post

Dear friends and family,
this is the last post of my time in Alaska. I'm leaving wonderland tomorrow, and i don't know if i'll be the same when i get back home. will i lack the focus and contentment and peace i enjoyed here when i return to society? will i appreciate, like the very air i breathe, being around people who understand me? will i appreciate people at all? will the pain in my jaw, the soreness i've been spared for four months, come back? will i remember what truly matters? will my heart still be loud within me? will i still be affected so by beauty?
Yesterday, i had worlds of difficulty with the 'mystery machine', i.e. the brown van. First, i wore down the battery trying to get it started, and second, i found at Wal-Mart following three hours of unsuccessful jumping that the power lead had come disconnected from the battery solenoid. I also suffered disappointment at my never getting my bike into town and riding it on 4-wheeler trails for a day.
Today, Sam and i flew to Iliamna. The word i'd use to summarize the trip is Risk. We took off runway 6. We left Iliamna with 45 minutes of fuel less than full. We skirted the mountains of Lake Clark pass and flew low over jade-colored beautiful Lake Clark itself. And speaking of emergency landing areas... the mountains and the way the sunlight illuminated them were enchanting. We exited the Alaska range on our way back, and i felt so let down by all the flat land and featureless terrain. Yet, i knew i was returning to society, where people are. I could be one stuck out in some small village repairing and flying airplanes day in and day out. I could be without human companionship in the wilderness. That would be a measly way to live.
hey, i'm worn out. i should be in my own home around 2 on Friday afternoon. Pray over the airplane and the pilots if you think about me.
Talk to you soon. then from the Lower 48.
God bless your heart.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elmo said...

You should have boarded your plane by now.
In a few short hours, you'll be landing.

Welcome back to the USA, it missed you.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home