Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Thursday, April 27, 2006

no title idea, sorry

Flying and instructing is going very well, mostly. I love flying, and i suppose that's where i should attitude should camp out. But a few students of mine are having a hard time, and i worry about them all the time. One of my students got transferred last week to another instructor because we didn't get along well, and i complained alot about her and she complained about me to the chief and she eventually went to another instructor. I felt a bit relieved when she did, and i also felt she left me too late, but she also represented alot of work and time ($) on my part so i'm feeling the loss.
I fly with other instructors' students almost as much as my own. One of those told me today how that his landings had really improved after flying with me. I was thankful for that compliment! Another asked me to go with him on his multiengine cross-country, so we went to Houston on Saturday for a four-hour flight. We had a good experience with that one. My knowing i had to get IFR current was the catalyst for my grabbing an instructor to give me an IPC (instrument proficiency check) on the preceding Friday. I got some actual with that same student yesterday as we shot a couple approaches with clouds at 1700'
I reached 700 hours yesterday! I remember when i was saying i had just over 600- that seems just weeks ago. As of today, i have 702.5. I am inspired to make the next 100 hours the best ever , yet i don't know how they can possibly be better than the 150 in Alaska. I guess the way i do it is to spend every hour thankful for my privilege and with ambition to get better at what i do.
On the way to work this morning, i drove by some mexican guys digging some trench by the road and one standing there watching them. Obviously they worked for the city as road crew, and they were probably doing something important. But i couldn't but dwell on the thought that those guys probably get paid more than me. Then i thought about why people get paid what they do. I figure those people whose occupations affect other people to a vital end get more than those people affecting people to a light or frivolous end. The greater the influence on people, the greater the pay, generally. The way i see it, we pilots trade pay for prilivege. If you go to the Wright-Patton Air Force Museum you'll see a quote by some guy who calls flying the 'privileged position.' When you compare money to privilege, privilege is really of greater value. Having little money makes life simpler, anyway. As long as i know God's love is flowing into me and through me every day, filling life up takes less thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben Jumper said...

But on the other hand, folks who put their life on the line every day are often poorly compensated - cops, enlisted military personnel, etc.

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home