Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Saturday, August 04, 2007

A man named Christopher

I went on one last jog today because it was my last full day in San Diego. I dressed up, stuck my keycard and a $20 bill in my pocket in case i needed it, and left to see the sights on the walking trail. But this story isn't about the HMS Surprise used in Master and Commander...
Nor is it about the oldest sailing ship still on the seas...
Nor about getting to see the USS Midway up close...
...but about a man named Christopher, who i believe i was sent to bless today.
During the jog to see the ships shown above, i noticed homeless people sitting on benches about every other1/4 mile. and few of you know my compassion on homeless people- it digs into my heart to witness such depravity rampant in my surroundings. poor people who can hardly help themselves, and i can only sympathize about what may be happening in their minds. are they filled with regrets of the past? are they worried about where their next meal is coming from? are they sunk in boredom and desperate for time to speed up? has their mind just switched off? whatever the case, i just wish i could get them someplace to stay, something to do, someone to love. i feel impulsive to give homeless people my money because they obviously need it more than i do, and i always feel this way when i pass by one. but debating against my heart is my reason, telling me that the money i give might go to booze or drugs. "i could give in faith to some random person" i hear inside. "or i could give with reasonable faith" i hear also. so i'm praying these things out, and on the way back to the hotel I decide I'm going to give that money away. so i'm looking for someone in whom to have reasonable faith.
i passed by several just sitting on benches reading a newspaper or staring off into oblivion, but i had no tug in my conscience for any of them. Then, about a mile from my hotel, i saw a guy in the distance dumpster-diving for plastic bottles and depositing them in a black bag. i espied a couple worn-out vehicles not too far from the dumpster, so i figured he was with one of them. As i passed him by, i said "that's a good way to get some extra cash." he replied, "yeah, it's not the best way but it works." as i got to the other side of him, i noticed by his feet a duffel bag and a rolled-up sleeping bag, which cued me in to his situation. I ran a very thought-rich dozen steps, during which time my conscience rolled the entire parable of the talents (Matthew 25), where God says to the wise servants, "you have been faithful in few things: now i will make you ruler over many things." And i also heard, almost audibly, 'this is the guy you need to give to."
so i went back to him, asked him if he needed money, and of course humbly admitted he did and graciously received my $20, and assured me that he wouldn't waste it but will use it on bathroom stuff 'tonight' and other stuff he needs. i learned quite a bit about him: his birthday is September 17, he came to believe in Christ as his savior on September 18 last year, he was just last year become homeless, and his name is Christopher Harper. I got a picture of us, and he had us make 'peace' signs with our hands in the picture. he said goodbye and "God bless you" over and over , and i walked away to into new threshold of joy and happiness. I recalled another part of Matthew 25, "whatever you do unto the least of these, you do also unto Me." then the details started lining up: Christopher - kinda like Christ; Harper - angels in heaven (Revelation 14:2; 15:2); peace sign - one of Christ's ministries on earth.
i would be thrilled to know that i met an angel today. I ran away for a couple minutes before turning back to see if he were still behind me. He was . i guess God's going to have my mystified until heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home