Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

A plan, a voice, a name

A few random thoughts from today:

Father Barry was talking about Colossians 3:23 (Whatever you do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord) this morning, and i started on a trail of thought whose end was really meaningful to me today. That is, God doesn't care what we choose for a career. I as a high schooler and early college guy didn't realize that, and i fretted for hours and days over the question of what God wants me to do. Biblically, when we decide out of fear of God, what we do for a job does not matter. When we consider this as immature young people in high school, we have this concept that God is going to tell us by some sign in the skies what He demands we do. We fear that, if we make the wrong decision, God's going to punish us, and we'll live forever in dire need to change to something else.
I've come to the conclusion that Colossians 3:23 does tell us about career selection. Follow this logic with me: The last phrase in that verse states, "as unto the Lord." The preceding phrase is "Do it heartily." So, we're supposed to accomplish something well enough that can be counted worthy of God's approval, and doing so well should be through a heart drive. Finally, that thing we do can be a "whatever." If you don't have that heart drive for whatever you're doing, then you won't do it well, and God won't be pleased with that. Instead of praying that God shows us what job to go to, I think that the more noble prayer is that God will identify our passions and gifts, and then we need to find a job that will quench the passions and use the gifts. Pray for opportunity to develop and exploit the abilities and to bless God's kingdom with them.
In the process, we will discover God's plan unfolding day by day. God planned to make us each the way we are, and the only dispute, as far as career choosing goes, should be how much effort we put forth in getting better at what we love to do.
---
A byproduct of liking Daisy for so long is that I still hear in my mind my favorite Alaska things...in Daisy's voice. "Glennallen", "Four-eight-eight-echo", "Valdez", "fireweed", "go snowmachining", "Anthony", "fishwheel" and "clinic" are words i hear inside as if Daisy were speaking to me.
--
A girl's name has come to mind three times today. It is sweet to me. Yet I know no girl by the name. Maybe I will in due time.
That name:
Claire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home