Name:
Location: Bridgewater, Virginia, United States

Friday, May 08, 2015

Learjet school day 12

Going by the records, my Lear training is complete as of tonight. I sit here one step away from a Learjet type rating, and here is my honest one fear: that when I get the engine failure after takeoff on Sunday, I may push the wrong rudder pedal and send us veering off into an uncontrolled chaos. I've never made that mistake before, so I guess the reason I am afraid is that it is the one thing that can't do wrong and then correct later.  That besides, the checkride should be a slow, methodical execution of  airmanship that meets the practical test standards.
In a text message chat tonight, I told my friend Greg that I need to commit my checkride to the Lord so that He will give me the desires that my heart has during the checkride, and I want to keep that truth highlighted this weekend.
My classmate told me that the period between tomorrow night and the checkride needs to be a total relax. Trust me, he says. Don't study, don't open a book. Just go into it fresh. Hey, the dude has tons of checkride experience. Gotta go with it.
My instructor Chris did a real good job with us tonight. He got out the verbal test and pounded us with sample questions and made sure we understood what we did not plainly know. The flight sim session was quality as well. As mentally unprepared as i was today, I wasn't the worlds best crewmember tonight, and he did a respectable job pointing out the flaws. Another quality I can note of Chris is his constructive criticism: he gives feedback that reinforces instead of telling me that I'm a lost cause, and he says more than the pat-down "it looked good" but highlights what I did right.
We flew the checkride profile tonight: V1 cut, air work, engine fire / manual shutdown, single engine hand-flown ILS, single engine missed approach, coupled ILS, and non-precision to a circle to land.
It's already so late tonight, but I feel I need to cram in the time of useful consciousness remaining. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home